How to Link Aadhaar Number with PAN Online Income Tax e-filling portal, Aadhaar-PAN linking is must from July 1st, 2017. Procedure for Aadhaar – PAN linking.
The judgement of Hon’ble Supreme Court order dated June 9, 2017 has stipulated that it is mandatory on the part of tax payers to link Aadhaar with PAN and mention the same in filing tax returns.
In case of non availability of Aadhaar, tax returns can either be filed online without Aadhaar for the Financial Year 2016-17.
The Union Govt. has made it mandatory to link the Aadhaar number with the Permanent Account Number (PAN) of an individual with effect from July 1st, 2017. As many as 2.07 crore taxpayers have already linked their Aadhaar with PAN.
How to Link Aadhaar with PAN
By sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161, Aadhaar can be linked with PAN.
People can also visit the official e-filing website of Income Tax department and use the given enabling provisions that link Aadhaar with PAN. People need not login or register themselves to link Aadhaar with PAN. In a 2 step easy process the same can be done.
2 step process to link Aadhaar with PAN for those who have not registered/ who have no log-in facility:
- Open the website i.e. www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and then click on the link ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the left side
- Provide your PAN and Aadhaar numbers on the given provision and type the name of person exactly as given in Aadhaar card and submit. Once the verification is done at UIDAI for Aadhaar, the linking status would be confirmed.
In case of minor mismatch in the name given in Aadhaar, Aadhaar OTP is required. However, one has to ensure that Date of Birth and Gender in PAN and Aadhaar are the same.
In a rarest case where name given in Aadhaar is completely different from the one given in PAN, linking would not be possible. In such a case, the taxpayer is required to change his/her name either in PAN or Aadhaar database to have a commonality to link.
Step by step process to link Aadhaar with PAN after logging in the income tax website:
- Register yourself at the income tax e-filing portal at https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Log in to the e-filing portal by entering your log-in credentials with date of birth mentioned
- On logging into the site, a pop up window would appear asking you to link Aadhaar with PAN. In case of non appearance of pop up window, go to blue tab on the top bar i.e. Profile settings and click on “Link Aadhaar”
- Verify yourself the details such as your name, Date of Birth, Gender, etc. which would appear on the screen to confirm yourself.
- If the details are matching, enter your Aadhaar number on the given provision and the captcha code. Then click on ‘Link now’ tab.
Following the above, you would get an SMS confirmation / pop up message informing you of the Aadhaar number link with PAN.
Link Your Aadhaar Number and PAN Card : https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-Filing/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html